without borders


Tuesday, February 22, 2011

burnt out

I’ll just say it: last week at work was awful. Mid-week I found myself burnt-out and praying for the weekend, which is mostly out of character for me. My patients wore down my patience (pun).

Between staffing issues, patients who were very demanding of pain medication, and one we even had to call security on, I had had enough. Why do I want to do this again?

I’m finding this patient population very difficult. A group of older, unhealthy adults who aren’t always the most polite bunch. It takes being underappreciated to a whole new level when I’m wiping your butt and you are still rude to me.

Conviction came Sunday when we talked about James 2:14-19, about faith and deeds. I found myself wondering do I have deeds without the faith sometimes, and is that even possible? What is the motivation behind why I do what I do? What gives me that last smidgen of patience when I am ready give up on being polite to someone who has been a pain to take care of?

This past week that last bit of energy might have been the tiny bit of ethical and moral obligation I have to my patients and my job, but this week, I want it to by a testimony to God’s glory. Because of his majesty, every person matters.

We’ll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. i'm in your same thought process right now. i find myself wondering the same things as my patience is a thin line about to break as my kids are biting me and clawing at me as their screams are piercing my ears. it's comforting to hear another struggling as well and so much more to hear your last comment...Because of his majesty, every person matters.... something that needs to be refreshed in my mind. hope the rest of this week brings patience & joy to you!

    ReplyDelete