without borders


Thursday, November 4, 2010

Luke 6:27-36

This week, I said something to a patient in simple conversation that I ended up thinking more about later.

I had taken care of an older woman for three days, and during that time she had been understanding, kind, and pleasant to deal with.

"Thank you so much, you are so kind to do this for me with your busy schedule," she said after she asked me to help her make some little adjustments in her room.

"No problem, it's very easy to do things for people who are sweet to me," I replied.

Duh, Ellen. But this is not what Jesus is asking of me. "If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Luke 6: 46-48).

What He asks is a higher calling, the call to be perfect. The call to have the same understanding, compassion and helpfulness with this patient's oh-so irritating neighbor. Not just a change in actions but a true change in heart. This is the hard part for me: to not just pretend to love others, but truly love them.

Ugh. I'll keep trying.

1 comment: